You can add or edit your contacts in the Contacts module. There are two types of contacts you can add: a private individual or a company. You can also add a contact person to a contact. These are people that are affiliated with your contact. For example, a specific person who should receive the invoice, or other people in the same company that you also need to communicate with. You can add them in the Contact person tab of your contact.
In this article, we explain how to add or edit contacts and contact persons. Additionally, we explain all tabs in the Contacts module.
If you want to quickly add all of your contacts at once, importing your contact list is a better option.
Add a contact
- Go to the Contacts module and choose Add.
- Next to Type, choose between a private individual or a company.
- Fill in the information in the Data tab, Contact person tab and Payment tab. All options are covered further down in this article.
Edit a contact
- In the Contacts module, double-click an existing contact to edit it.
Add a contact person
Contact persons are other people that are affiliated with your contact, and they can have their own unique contact information.
For example: A specific person (other than your main contact) who should receive the invoice, or other people in the same company that you also need to communicate with.
- When adding or editing a contact, go to the Contact person tab.
- Choose Add.
- Fill in the information of your Contact person, and Confirm your changes.
- Type - Choose between Private individual or Company.
- Folder - Choose the folder where this contact should be stored.
If you want to create a new folder, read our article about creating your folder structure.
- Database number - The unique database number of your contact is for your internal reference and own accounting. The number is tied to your documents. If you leave this field empty, Rentman will automatically generate a database number.
- Default contact person - Select your contact person.
Visiting, postal and billing address
You can add three different addresses to your contact. The visiting, postal and billing address have their own section with the following information to fill in:
- Search address - Enter the postal code and house/company number. If the location exists, all information in this section will automatically be filled in for you.
- Show/Hide map - Click on Show map to view the Google Maps location of the address in this section.
- Distance / Travel time - The distance and travel time are calculated using Google Maps from your own address (set in Configuration module > Settings > Time and location) to the address in this section.
- Warning - This warning message is shown when this contact is selected in a project.
- Subject automatic project note - The subject of the automatic project note (see below).
- Automatic project note - This remark is automatically added to projects when this contact is selected as client or location.
- Invoice moment - Choose the invoice moment for this contact. You can create your own invoice moments in the Configuration module > Financial > Invoice moments.
Note: Choosing an invoice moment for a contact will override the invoice moment of the project, if the contact is selected as client.
- Payment condition - Choose the payment condition for this contact. You can create your own payment conditions in the Configuration module > Financial > Payment conditions.
Note: Choosing a payment condition for a contact will override the payment condition of the project, if the contact is selected as client.
- VAT scheme - Choose the VAT scheme for this contact. Read our article about taxation (VAT) for more information.
Note: Choosing a VAT scheme for a contact will override the VAT scheme of the project, if the contact is selected as client.
- Contact specific insurance percentage - If you select "Yes", you can fill in the insurance percentage for this contact.
Choose the discount percentage for your rental and sale equipment. You can create your own discount groups in the Configuration module.
Group your contacts
You can use tags to give a specific label to a contact. To group a number of contacts, simply assign the same tag to them. It's not possible to group your contacts by using the folder structure, because it's only designed to store your contacts in the Rentman database.
If a contact is both customer and supplier, give them a tag called customer and a tag called supplier.