In Rentman, the planning of crew and transportation for a project takes place in two phases:
- Adding crew and transport functions - in this first phase, you set what activities need to be performed, by how many people, and during which time period. This information will also be used in your quotation. Example: on the 10-03-2019, from 14:00 to 17:00, you need 2 people for the function "stagehand".
- Planning crew members and vehicles on the functions - in this second phase, you choose which of your crew members will perform the functions. Example: John Smith and Michael Williams will perform the function "stagehand" on the 10-03-2019.
In this article, we explain the first phase - how to add crew and transport functions to your projects. You can also watch our tutorial video below:
A function is a task that needs to be performed. A function can be connected to the times in your Time schedule, have its own time, or have a duration if you don't want to specify the exact times.
You can add a one-time function for a single project or create a default function you can use for every future project.
Functions can be planned in function groups. Function groups can as well be connected to your Time schedule, have their own time, or have a duration. Functions in a group will take the times of the group, so you won't have to add a time for each function.
Add a function outside of a group
Using groups is not mandatory to plan your functions. On top of your Crew and transport tab, you will find an empty row. Here you can add crew and transport functions outside of a group.
Here you can add a function that will be used only for this project or a default function.
To add a one-time function:
- Open the dropdown menu at the top of the screen.
- Choose 'Function'.
- Fill in the function options.
To add a default function:
- Select the empty row by clicking on its checkmark
- Double-click on the default function you want to add from the column on the left.
You can now double-click on the function you have just added so you can set a time for it.
Add new default functions
Setting default functions speeds up the planning process because you can re-use them for every project.
You can also modify the user role rights of other powerusers to prevent them from editing, creating or deleting default functions.
Add a default function
- In the sidebar on the left, click +Add .
- Choose between Crew and Transport.
- Fill in the function options.
- Click Save.
Edit a default function
To edit a default function, click on the next to the function.
Hourly and daily rate
For the same function, you might sometimes charge daily rates and other times hourly rates.
In this case, create two separate functions, one with an hourly rate and one with a daily rate. You can give these two functions the same external name but different internal names - so you won't get confused, and your clients won't see the difference.
- Crew/Transport - Choose if it's a function for crew or transport.
- External name - The name shown in quotations, contracts, and invoices.
- Internal name - The name shown in callsheets and in the Crew planner.
- Travel time before/after - The travel time needed to get to the location. This is visible for the planner and can be used to select if crew members join drive in a vehicle to the location or not.
- Duration - Standard duration of a function. This will be overwritten if the function is added to a function group.
- Break - Break length.
- Rental costs - These are the costs you will charge your client. You can charge an hourly price/km-price, a fixed price, or combine the two.
- Subhire costs - These are the costs for you. Also here you can charge an hourly price/km-price, a fixed price, or combine the two.
- VAT class - Select what VAT class should be used for the function.
- Remark - Select a customer, planner or crew member and fill a remark which will be used in the communications for these persons.
- Include in price - De-select this option to exclude the function from the price calculation.
Add a function group
- type in the group name in the "Add new group" bar.
- Click on the button on the right (the name can vary base on your Time schedule) to add the times.
- Click on + to add the group.
Add a function to a function group
To add a default function to a function group:
- Select the group by clicking on its checkmark
- Doubleclick on the default function you want to add from the column on the left.
To add a new function without saving it as a default function:
- Click on the drop-down menu next to the +Add button.
- Select Function.
- Fill in the options and click on Save .
Edit a function or a function group
To edit the details of a function or a function group you have already planned, simply double-click on it.
If you edit a time period in the Time schedule of a project, the functions and function groups connected to that time will automatically change.