In Rentman, the planning of crew and transportation for a project takes place in two phases:
- Adding crew and transport functions - in this first phase, you set what activities need to be performed, by how many people, and during which time period. This information will be used in your quotation. Example: on the 10-03-2019, from 14:00 to 17:00, you need 2 people for the function "stagehand".
- Planning crew members and vehicles on the functions - in this second phase, you choose which of your crew members will perform the functions. Example: John Smith and Michael Williams will perform the function "stagehand" on the 10-03-2019.
In this article, we explain the first phase - how to add crew and transport functions to your projects. You can also watch our tutorial video below:
A function is a task that needs to be performed. A function can be connected to the times in your Time schedule, have its own time, or have a duration if you don't want to specify the exact times.
You can add a one-time function for a single project or create a default function you can use for every future project.
Functions can be planned in function groups. Function groups can as well be connected to your Time schedule, have their own time, or have a duration.
Adding functions to groups helps you save time. First, the functions will take the times of the group, so you won't have to add a time for each function. Second, if you edit your Time schedule you can automatically edit all the functions in the group connected to the Time schedule.
Add a function
To add a function to a function group, click on the group's checkmark. To add it outside of a group, select the empty row on top of the functions list.
You can choose to add a one-time function or a default function.
To add a one-time function:
- Open the dropdown menu at the top of the screen.
- Choose 'Function'.
- Fill in the function options.
To add a default function:
- Select the row by clicking on its checkmark
- From the column on the left, double-click on the default function you want to add.
You can now double-click on the function you have just added so you can set a time for it.
- Crew/Transport - Choose if it's a function for crew or transport.
- External name - The name shown in quotations, contracts, and invoices.
- Internal name - The name shown in callsheets and in the Crew planner.
- Travel time before/after - The travel time needed to get to the location. This is visible for the planner and can be used to select if crew members join drive in a vehicle to the location or not.
- Duration - Standard duration of a function. This will be overwritten if the function is added to a function group.
- Break - Break length (Crew functions only).
- Distance - The distance from your warehouse to the location (Transport functions only).
- Rental costs - These are the costs you will charge your client. You can charge an hourly price/km-price, a fixed price, or combine the two.
- Subrental costs - These are the costs for you. Also here you can charge an hourly price/km-price, a fixed price, or combine the two.
- VAT class - Select what VAT class should be used for the function.
- Ledger account - the default invoice ledger assigned to this function.
- Remark - Select a customer, planner or crew member and fill a remark which will be used in the communications for these persons.
- Include in price - Deselect this option to exclude the function from the price calculation.
Set up your default functions
Setting default functions speeds up the planning process because you can re-use them for every project.
You can also modify the user role rights of other powerusers to prevent them from editing, creating or deleting default functions.
Add a default function
- In the sidebar on the left, click +Add .
- Choose between Crew and Transport.
- Fill in the function options.
- Click Save.
Edit a default function
To edit a default function, click on the next to the function.
Hourly and daily rate
For the same function, you might sometimes charge daily rates and other times hourly rates.
In this case, create two separate functions, one with an hourly rate and one with a daily rate. You can give these two functions the same external name but different internal names - so you won't get confused, and your clients won't see the difference.
Add a function group
- Type in the group name in the "Add new group" bar.
- Click on the button on the right (the name can vary base on your Time schedule) to add the times.
- Click on + to add the group.