Every Rentman trial starts with a sample database of contacts. You can quickly add your own contacts by importing a contacts file. In this article, we walk you through the steps of getting your contact list into Rentman.
You can also add a single (or small number) of contacts in the Contacts module, instead of importing a file.
Before you start
Here's what you need before importing your contacts list:
- An Excel or .csv file with your contacts' information. If you don't have one yet, you can use our template to easily create one. This is currently being worked on, and will be available on this page soon.
- A logical folder structure in the Contacts module, so you can stay organized and find your contacts faster. You can follow the link to create your folders ahead of time, or let Rentman automatically create the folder paths of your choosing. You choose the right folder path in the Folder column of your file (read the next section).
Prepare your contacts file
A lot of Rentman users already keep a list of their contacts. The list that you import in Rentman needs to be an .xlsx (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) or .csv file.
- It's a good idea to have clear headers (titles) in the first row of your file.
- Some of the columns in your file are necessary for Rentman, whilst others are optional.
- The folder path of a contact should be specified in the Folder column, like this:
You can download our template at the bottom of this article. You can use this for reference, or use it to create a contacts file.
If you use contact persons, we recommend including contact person columns in your contacts file. Read the section below for more information.
Contact person columns
If you use contact persons, you can create columns in your contacts file that contain information about a unique contact person. These columns are useful, because each contact person that belongs to the same contact can have their own phone number, email address and other information.
In your file, your contact person columns could look like this:
Note that multiple contact persons are always connected to the same contact.
Import your contacts file
- Go to the Contacts module.
- Click on the Columns button and choose Import.
- Upload your contacts file.
A preview of your file will be shown in the next screen. Note: only the first 8 rows of your file are previewed.
- If your file has column titles (headers) in the first row, select
This means that the first row of your file will not be imported.
- For each column, indicate whether it is a contact person column or a normal Contact column.
If you don't use contact persons, then always choose Contact column.
- Match the titles of your columns to the titles in Rentman. This is necessary, because your own columns might have a (slightly) different name.
In this example, the first column in your file is called Contact. It contains the names of your contacts. However, in Rentman the name of this column is Company name.
- Click Next step when you've done this for all columns.
- Choose what to do with duplicate rows. A duplicate row occurs when a value in a column already exists in the Rentman database. There are three options:
If you choose Skip duplicate rows or Update items to values in import file, you need to choose which columns in your file should be scanned for duplicates. We call these unique columns.
If a duplicate value is found, the entire row will be skipped, or updated. This depends on the option that you choose.
If you choose more than one unique column, a duplicate must occur in both of these columns before the entire row will be skipped or updated.
- Select the root folder of your own folder structure.
The root folder is the folder at the top, and it contains your folder structure.
Normally, you should simply choose Root folder.
Warning: If your contacts file doesn't contain a Folder column, all contacts will be placed in the same root folder. This means that your contacts will not be organized, and it may be difficult to find contacts. We recommend creating your own folder structure, and specify the correct folder path for your contacts in the Folder column.
- Choose Next step.
- Check your data, and choose .
- Refresh your browser page to complete the import.