Every Rentman trial starts with a sample database of vehicles. You can quickly add your own vehicles by importing a vehicle file. In this article, we walk you through the steps of getting your vehicles list into Rentman.
You can also add a single (or small number) of vehicles in the Vehicles module, instead of importing a file.
Before you start
Here's what you need before importing your vehicles list:
- An Excel or .csv file with your vehicles' information.
- A logical folder structure in the Vehicles module, so you can stay organized and find your vehicles faster. You can follow the link to create your folders ahead of time, or let Rentman automatically create the folder paths of your choosing. You choose the right folder path in the Folder column of your file (read the next section).
Prepare your vehicle file
A lot of Rentman users already keep a list of their vehicles. The list that you import in Rentman needs to be an .xlsx (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) or .csv file.
- It's a good idea to have clear headers (titles) in the first row of your file.
- Some of the columns in your file are necessary for Rentman, whilst others are optional.
- The folder path of a vehicle should be specified in the Folder column, like this:
trucks/pickup or trucks/cab
Import your vehicle file
- Go to the Vehicles module.
- Click on the Columns button and choose Import.
- Upload your vehicle file.
A preview of your file will be shown in the next screen. Note: only the first 8 rows of your file are previewed.
- If your file has column titles (headers) in the first row, select
This means that the first row of your file will not be imported.
- Match the titles of your columns to the titles in Rentman. This is necessary, because your own columns might have a (slightly) different name.
In this example, the second column in your file is called License plate. However, in Rentman the name of this column is Registration number.
- Click Next step when you've done this for all columns.
- Choose what to do with duplicate rows. A duplicate row occurs when a value in a column already exists in the Rentman database. There are three options:
If you choose Skip duplicate rows Rentman does not import elements that are already in your database. When you choose this option, you need to select which columns in your file should be scanned for duplicates. We call these unique columns. When Rentman finds an element in your database and a row in your .xlsx file with the same values in the selected unique columns (like Name or Code), the row will be skipped (not imported). This option is useful if in the .xlsx file there are vehicles you have already imported in the past, and you want to avoid having duplicates in your database.
If you want to update the items in your database (example: new price), read how to do it in our article about updating data.
- Select the root folder of your own folder structure.
The root folder is the folder at the top, and it contains your folder structure.
Normally, you should simply choose Root folder.
Warning: If your vehicle file doesn't contain a Folder column, all vehicles will be placed in the same root folder. This means that your vehicles will not be organized, and it may be difficult to find vehicles. We recommend creating your own folder structure, and specify the correct folder path for your vehicles in the Folder column.
- Choose Next step.
- Check your data, and choose .
- Refresh your browser page to complete the import.