Every Rentman trial starts with a sample database of crew members. You can quickly add your own crew members by importing a crew member file. In this article, we walk you through the steps of getting your crew member list into Rentman.
You can also add a single (or small number) of crew members in the Crew members module, instead of importing a file.
Before you start
Here's what you need before importing your crew member list:
- An Excel or .csv file with your crew members' information.
- A logical folder structure in the Crew members module, so you can stay organized and find your crew members faster. You can follow the link to create your folders ahead of time, or let Rentman automatically create the folder paths of your choosing. You choose the right folder path in the Folder column of your file (read the next section).
Prepare your crew member file
A lot of Rentman users already keep a list of their crew members. The list that you import in Rentman needs to be an .xlsx (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) or .csv file.
- It's a good idea to have clear headers (titles) in the first row of your file.
- Some of the columns in your file are necessary for Rentman, whilst others are optional.
- The folder path of a crew member should be specified in the Folder column, like this:
freelancers/lighttechnician or office/planners
Import your crew member file
- Go to the Crew members module.
- Click on the Columns button and choose Import.
- Upload your crew member file.
A preview of your file will be shown in the next screen. Note: only the first 8 rows of your file are previewed.
- If your file has column titles (headers) in the first row, select
This means that the first row of your file will not be imported.
- Match the titles of your columns to the titles in Rentman. This is necessary, because your own columns might have a (slightly) different name.
In this example, the last column in your file is called Date of birth. However, in Rentman the name of this column is Birthdate.
- Click Next step when you've done this for all columns.
- Choose what to do with duplicate rows. A duplicate row occurs when a value in a column already exists in the Rentman database. There are three options:
If you choose Skip duplicate rows or Update items to values in import file, you need to choose which columns in your file should be scanned for duplicates. We call these unique columns.
If a duplicate value is found, the entire row will be skipped, or updated. This depends on the option that you choose.
If you choose more than one unique column, a duplicate must occur in both of these columns before the entire row will be skipped or updated.
- Select the root folder of your own folder structure.
The root folder is the folder at the top, and it contains your folder structure.
Normally, you should simply choose Root folder.
Warning: If your crew member file doesn't contain a Folder column, all crew members will be placed in the same root folder. This means that your crew members will not be organized, and it may be difficult to find crew members. We recommend creating your own folder structure, and specify the correct folder path for your crew members in the Folder column.
- Choose Next step.
- Check your data, and choose .
- Refresh your browser page to complete the import.