You would like to switch over to Rentman (hi 👋), but it seems overwhelming and you’re not quite sure where to start? Good news for you: we’ve successfully guided thousands of users through it. And if they managed, so can you.
Let us preface this guide by saying that you don’t have to do it alone. When you activate your account (don’t worry, the first 30 days are free no matter when you activate), you qualify for a free onboarding session. This session with one of our support experts is included in your license and helps you set up everything within a few hours.
That said, you might want to give it a try on your own first, and that’s just fine because we’ve got you covered. Here are the 8 essential steps to follow for a smooth and pain-free switch to Rentman.
Tip: you can enjoy 30 days free AND get support training. Make the best of it!
Already activated your account? Jump straight to step 3 👍
1. Delete your test database
First thing first, you want to start with a clean slate. That means removing the test data we planted to give you a realistic feel of Rentman. You can do this manually in each module or in one go from the configuration module.
Menu > Configurations > Settings > Empty database
2. Configure your Rentman account
- Edit your profile details - Phone number, address, billing info, etc.
- Change your password - Maybe something safer than '123456' or 'testtest'.
3. Import your equipment list
- Inventorize your equipment - Download our template or use your own excel sheet containing the main columns: code, name, quantity, and price for example. You’ll be able to update and improve your inventory later on.
- Import your database - Once your equipment has been properly listed, just import your file to create your equipment database.
- Combine pieces of equipment - Create kits, cases, and accessories based on the items you usually pack together.
4. Import your contacts
Add your clients, suppliers, and locations to your list of contacts. You can either use our contacts template or use you own excel sheet. To be super time-efficient, this is something you can do while somebody else is setting up your inventory for example. And again, no sweat, you can always add, update and refine your list as you go.
5. Get your team on board
- Set up your user roles - Who gets what level of permission within Rentman.
- Add your crew members - Don’t forget to invite them to use Rentman so they can start getting used to Rentman ASAP.
6. Upload your letterhead
Making your documents look professional and distinctively yours is important. And super easy. If you already have your own letterhead (including logo, address, contact info, etc.), just upload it as a PDF (remember to keep the right margins).
Menu > Configurations > Customer communication > Letterhead > Add
7. Set up your default jobs and transports
Configuring the different jobs and transport functions you need in order to carry out your projects is a massive time-saver, so we suggest you set it up from the get-go. These functions, for which you can attach specific crew members, hourly rates or schedules to, correspond to the different people and vehicles you need to bill clients for; sound technician, DJ, truck driver, you name it.
8. Configure financial details
Almost done! Before setting up your first project, you want to make sure the math is done right by configuring the following :
You can always choose to divert from the default settings for certain projects or certain customers, but let’s worry about that another time. You now have your basic set up down.
All ready for launch 🏁
If not done already, pick a date on which you will start managing your projects in Rentman. Duplicate all your upcoming projects from that date onward into Rentman and you’re all set for success.
Any trouble with any of the steps above? Need a deeper dive into some key capabilities? Activate your account and book a meeting with an expert to make sure you’re ready to start handling your first projects in no time.