Updating your database items is useful to make bulk changes to items in Rentman, such as:
- increasing the price of all equipment items
- updating the phone numbers of all contacts
Updating your database can also be used to make your database more complete:
- adding measurements for all equipment items
- Adding serial numbers to your equipment items
After uploading your updated .XLSX file, Rentman will update the existing items in your database with new values.
Rentman also needs unique columns when updating your items. The unique columns that you choose determine which items should be updated if duplicate values are found in your file.
Step 1: Export your current database
Exporting your current database as an .XLSX file (Excel, Google Sheets) makes it a lot easier to update the information of your items. It also ensures that you can choose the correct unique columns, later on.
- Make sure that you know beforehand what details of your items you are going to update. If you are updating the price, make sure to include the price column in your export file.
- Think about the unique columns that Rentman will need later on. Make sure to include these columns in your export file too.
Step 2: Update the information of your items
- Open the exported file using a spreadsheet editor, such as Excel or Google Sheets.
- Make your changes.
- Save your file as .XLSX.
Step 3: Import your updated file
- In the relevant module of Rentman, click on the Columns button and choose Import.
- Upload your updated file.
- Match the titles of your columns to the titles in Rentman. This is necessary because your own columns might have a (slightly) different name.
- Click Next step.
- Choose the option Update items to values in the import file.
- Choose your unique columns (see next paragraph).
The unique columns that you choose determine which items will be updated.
- Choose Next step.
- Check your data, and choose Import.
Choose your unique columns
To identify which items are already in your database and need an update, we use Unique columns. When Rentman finds an item in your database and a row in your .xlsx file with the same values in the selected unique columns (like Name or Code), the item is identified as the same. The values that differ, and are not in the unique columns, are then updated.
Possible issues and solutions
If you experience issues with updating your database, there might be something wrong in the way you set up your file or your database. The most common mistake, in this case, is having double elements in unique columns: if the columns you select as unique contain double elements (for example, two items with the same name or the same code) this might create an error result in a duplicate item.
To check whether you have double elements in your database, you can group the columns that you will use as unique. Then look for which items are grouped in (2), and correct it - if they are unique, the number for each group should always be (1).
If this is not the cause of the error, check this list of possible mistakes.