XML - UBL is the format used in electronic invoicing (e-invoicing). In some countries, e-invoicing must be used instead of traditional invoicing in every transaction. In other countries, it's only mandatory to use e-invoicing for transactions with government agencies.
In Rentman, you can export every invoice in XML - UBL format. This article shows the basic settings you must set up for e-invoicing.
Unstructured invoice data in PDF or Word format are not valid as e-invoices.
Set up your VAT scheme
- Go to Configuration > Financial > VAT schemes.
- Double-click on a VAT scheme to open it.
- Enter the right EDIFACT code (5305 Norm) for each rate.
- Click Save.
- Repeat for each VAT scheme.
Configure your e-invoicing settings
Go to Configuration > Financial > Electronic invoicing, and fill in the following fields:
- Identification number: the unique number that identifies a business, based on the country's identification scheme.
- Identification scheme: the code that identifies your country. For many European countries, this scheme is the VAT. Check this list if you don't know your country's identification scheme (column 'schemeID').
- Currency Code: Select your currency code if it is not already set by default.
Configure your contacts' e-invoicing settings
Fill in your contacts' data to generate e-invoices.
- Go to Contacts.
- Double-click on a contact to open it.
- Go to the 'Electronic invoicing' tab.
- Fill in the identification number and identification scheme.
If you don't know the identification number of a contact, request it to them or check in your country's identification scheme database.
Export an e-invoice
After creating an e-invoice, you can export it in XML - UBL.
- Create an invoice.
- When editing the invoice, click Download as XML
- Choose between 'UBL based on ledgers' (for internal use/accounting software) and 'UBL to send' (for your clients).