Every Rentman trial starts with a sample database of contacts. You can quickly add your own contacts by importing a contacts file. In this article, we walk you through the steps of getting your contact list into Rentman.
You can also add a single (or small number) of contacts in the contact_phone Contacts module, instead of importing a file.
Before you start
Here's what you need before importing your contacts list:
- An Excel or .csv file with your contacts' information. If you don't have one yet, you can use our template to easily create one.
- A logical folder structure in the contact_phone Contacts module, so you can stay organized and find your contacts faster. You can follow the link to create your folders ahead of time, or let Rentman automatically create the folder paths of your choosing. You choose the right folder path in the Folder column of your file (read the next section).
Prepare your contacts file
A lot of Rentman users already keep a list of their contacts. The list that you import in Rentman needs to be an .xlsx (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) or .csv file.
- It's a good idea to have clear headers (titles) in the first row of your file.
- Some of the columns in your file are necessary for Rentman, whilst others are optional.
- The folder path of a contact should be specified in the Folder column, like this:
You can download our template at the bottom of this article. You can use this for reference, or use it to create a contacts file.
If you use contact persons, we recommend including contact person columns in your contacts file. Read the section below for more information.
Contact person columns
If you use contact persons, you can create columns in your contacts file that contain information about a unique contact person. These columns are useful, because each contact person that belongs to the same contact can have their own phone number, email address and other information.
In your file, your contact person columns could look like this:
Note that multiple contact persons are always connected to the same contact.
Import your contacts file
- Go to the contact_phone Contacts module.
- Click on More options more_vert next to + Add contact and choose Import.
- Select the type of import you want to do:
- "Import all rows as new item" - your contact database is empty and this is your first import
- "Update existing items with new data" - you have contacts already imported and want to update their details
- "Add new items and skip existing ones" - you have contacts already imported and want to add more contacts
- Indicate if you want to import import contact persons associated with your contacts.
- Upload a contacts file in accordance with the "Terms" listed.
- Indicate if your file contains a header (column titles) in the first row and match the Rentman columns with the columns in your file.
- Select the root folder of your own folder structure.
The root folder is the folder at the top, and it contains your folder structure.
Normally, you should simply choose "Root folder".
Warning: If your contacts file doesn't contain a Folder column, all contacts will be placed in the same root folder. This means that your contacts will not be organized, and it may be difficult to find contacts. We recommend creating your own folder structure, and specify the correct folder path for your contacts in the Folder column.
- Check the preview of your data one last time and click Import
- Refresh your browser page to complete the import.