You can add and edit your equipment in the Equipment module. There are three types of equipment you can add: "item", "case", and "kit".
Read our article about items, kits, cases and accessories for more information.
Your equipment has various tabs that contain important information to configure. In the Data tab, you supply basic information about your equipment, along with QR codes. In the other tabs, you can configure serial numbers, content, accessories, alternatives, suppliers, periodic inspections, and webshop.
In this article, we explain how to add or edit your equipment, and we explain all tabs in the category Equipment module.
If you want to add all of your equipment at once, you can import your equipment instead. This allows to you upload an Excel (.xlsx) or .csv file that contains a list of all your equipment. You can create this file yourself, or you can use our import template.
Add your equipment
You can easily add equipment via this pop-up window, in which you only have to insert only the "essential data" of your equipment item. If you want to be directly send to the full equipment details view, you can do this by selecting "Skip this popup next time" at the bottom of this pop-up.
Essential equipment data
- Name - name of the equipment item in the database.
- Type - select if this item is an "Item", "Kit" or "Case".
- Rental/Sales - select if this is a sales or rental item.
Financial - Rental item:
- Rental price - the price of your rental item excl. VAT.
- List price - the initial purchase price of the rental item at the moment it was initially purchased. This price, together with the depreciation per month is used to calculate the current book value of your rental items.
Financial - Sale item:
- Sale price - the price of your sale item excl. VAT.
- Purchase price - the price of the sale item at the moment of purchase.
Stock - Rental item:
- Stock calculation method- select if you would like to calculate stock based on bulk or based on the amount of active serial numbers.
- Quantity - the amount of non serialized items.
- Internal reference + serial number - here you can add your serial numbers. You can add or import more serial numbers in a later process.
Stock - Sale item:
- Stock management - configure if you want to keep track of stock or not.
- (if yes) Quantity - the amount of items.
Extended Equipment data
- Folder - Choose the folder where this item should be stored.
If you want to create a new folder, read our article about creating your folder structure.
- Code - If you leave this empty, Rentman will automatically generate an equipment code. This will be shown on packing slips.
- Location in warehouse - These locations can be shown in your database, warehouse and on packing slips
- Display in planner - Choose if you want to show this item when planning equipment or not.
- Rental price - the price of your rental equipment excl. VAT.
- Subrental cost - the price it would cost to subrent this item.
- Discount group - Choose the discount group for this item.
- Factor group - Choose the factor group for this item.
- Margin price - You can internally use this data to see the margin you want to get from a piece of equipment. This data is not used in any calculation in the software.
- VAT class - Choose the VAT class for this item.
- Ledger account - the default invoice ledger assigned to this item.
- Length / Height/ Width - dimension of the equipment item in cm.
- Transport volume - this volume can be automatically calculated based on the dimension of your equipment item.
- Packed per - this data is used to correctly calculate the transport volume of items that are packed and transported together. See example below:
You rent out champagne glasses by the piece. However, these glasses are always packed and transported per 10 in a crate, so the Packed Per value would be 10 in this example. The transport volume listed should be based on these 10 glasses.
If you plan 11 champagne glasses on your project, the transport volume of these particular items will be automatically doubled, as you will need to transport 2 crates of 10 champagne glasses. Even though you only plan to rent out 11 glasses.
- Surface item - Check this box if the price should be calculated based on the item's surface (width x height). Dimensions can be entered for each project.
- Measuring unit - standard quantity used to express the quantity of the item. Examples: units, pieces, kg, gallons etc.
- External remarks - These will be shown on quotations, invoices, and contracts.
- Internal remarks - These will be shown on packing slips
Extra input fields
- You can add extra input fields, to add additional information to your equipment.
It is possible to add images to the equipment items of your database. There are two ways of adding images:
Option one: upload under file-section
- Navigate to the category Equipment module
- Scroll down to the File section
- Click on + ADD
- Upload your image
Option two: upload in Image section
- Navigate to the category Equipment module
- Click on Choose an image or existing default image.
- Upload your image
The first (non-confidential) image uploaded will be used as the default image.
Adding sale equipment
- Go to the category Equipment module and choose + Add Equipment
- In the Type field of the Data tab, select "Sale".
Two new fields (Stock management, Critical stock) and a new tab (Stock) will appear:
- In the Stock management field choose between two options:
- "Exclude from stock tracking" - Rentman will not keep track of this item's availability. This option is useful for consumables product of little value, of which you always have enough supply (e.g. gaffa tape).
- "Track stock" - Rentman keeps track of this item's availability. The availability timeline of sale items is explained later in the article.
- If you choose to track the stock of an item, you can set a Critical stock. When the stock reaches the critical level, it will be displayed in the dashboard Dashboard module.
- Fill in the rest of the information, then click Save
Edit your equipment
In the category Equipment module, double-click an existing item, case or kit to edit it.
Note: You cannot change the equipment type when your item, case or kit is already planned on a project. This would also change the project type of your existing projects, project templates, and subrents, which would result in projects with incorrect equipment.
Read our article Serial numbers to learn how to add serial numbers.
Read our article about Items, kits, cases and accessories to learn how to add content to kits and cases.
Read our article about Items, kits, cases and accessories to learn how to add accessories to an item, kit or case.
You can add equipment that you can plan on projects as an alternative for this item/kit/case. This is useful for quickly solving shortages.
Simply find equipment in the list, and double-click it to add as an alternative.
Apply an alternative
- In the Equipment tab of your project, hover over an item that has a shortage.
- Click the Details button to open the right sidebar.
- At the bottom of the right sidebar, find Alternatives.
- Click add to add the alternative item to the project.
- Remember to set the desired quantity of this item.
Click + Add Supplier to add to the list of suppliers for each item/kit/case. For each supplier, you can add the price they charge.
- In the Data tab of your equipment, go to the Financial section and fill in the Subrental cost.
- In the contact_phone Contacts module, double-click your supplier and go to the Payment tab.
- Fill in Subrent discount (supplier).
View a list of inspections for this item/kit/case. You can always activate or deactivate an inspection.
You create your default periodic inspections in the settings Configuration module. For example, a rigging inspection or a cleaning job.
You choose which inspection your equipment should get in the build Maintenance module. In the Inspections tab of this module, you will see an overview of all inspections for all equipment. Double-click an item/kit/case to choose the inspection it should get.
Edit periodic inspections brings you to the settings Configuration module, where you can add or edit your default inspections. Here, you decide the time interval of an inspection and a description/checklist for the inspector.
New inspection for this equipment brings you to the build Maintenance module, where you can choose which inspection this item/kit/case will get. This will then be listed in the Periodic inspections tab of your item/kit/case.
If you use the rental shop (webshop) plugin, you can choose the following options for your equipment in this tab:
- Choose whether this item/kit/case should be displayed in your rental shop
- Short description
- Long description
Read our article about the Webshop plugin for more information.
Read our article about setting up QR codes and barcodes for more information.